WATCH THE FULL DOCUMENTARY HERE: http://www.vimeo.com/ondemand/martyrsofmarriage
WATCH THE FULL DOCUMENTARY HERE: http://www.vimeo.com/ondemand/martyrsofmarriage
He left physiotherapy to pursue law when he understood that justice in India is meant only for women and until he knows the law, he can never rescue himself. Luckily he did rescue himself from a false dowry case when he was discharged from the fabricated case his wife filed on him. Little did he know that she will never let him be.
PS: We are doing a peace march from Arvind Bhartis home, C5/17, Yamuna Vihar to Bhajan pura police station on 23rd December, Saturday 4pm onwards. Call 9891122555 – Nitin Bharti for any query. Join if you can.
Arvind Bharti, a young lawyer from Delhi committed suicide on 15th December 2017 by jumping on rail tracks, chopped by train who was as blind and deaf to his sight as the law and police enforcement of India is for a man. These are not my words but his own that he wrote in several suicide notes he left detailing his harassment over years by his wife and in-laws even after he got divorced from her. He planned everything. Conviction to end his life arose from series of atrocities committed upon him by his wife. First a false dowry case, then several Lacs to give him a divorce, then keeping him hostage naked for four days, then alleging rape on him , then beating him up wherever she saw him, then getting him thrown out of the job wherever he went, then ensuring that he never gets married again by ruining his alliance, then telling him that his only option was to commit suicide.
He DID. Because she used to tell him that no one’s gonna listen to him. That the law is handicap in front of her and he has no choice because she won’t let him live.
He wrote how system, law, police were her puppets and he of theirs and how ending his life was the only way to come out of those clutches.
It’s been seven days since Arvind died and not even an FIR has been registered so far. He was right when he wrote that even his death won’t change much. Apart from some hindi newspapers, no other media has covered his case. No debates. No furore. No prime time shouting.
If you’re reading this and wish to get him justice, send his suicide note to Prime Minister Modi and seek an answer. Tag PMO on Twitter and demand an action. Ask our law minister if he has answer for this student of law. Ask everyone a question – IS THE LAW AND JUSTICE OF THIS COUNTRY ONLY MEANT FOR WOMEN?
Read his suicide note here:
Deepika Narayan Bhardwaj
Independent Journalist & Documentary Filmmaker
Twitter : @DeepikaBhardwaj
Can a Man file a rape case on a woman after she refuses to marry the boy after exploiting him emotionally, financially and YES physically?
Today, women are filing rape cases on their boyfriends if they refuse marriage. Mind it, this case can be filed even if you never got physical with each other as she doesn’t really need to give any evidence. Every kind of story is available with the lawyer next door. All that she needs to say is you raped her and then you have to decide whether you go through a false case or give in to her demands!
Here’s a MAIL a MAN sent me:
First of all a very bold move all together.
I am writing this mail since this needs to be heard.
This is not an incident in general or something that has happened in a day. I had been in five years of relation. I was engaged to her. There were some misunderstandings every couple has. All was sorted.
Now four days before marriage, i and my family were summoned at her place and were literally abused. My family out of love towards me took all of it. Mind me we are quite influential family. So invitations are gone guests started coming in, a call comes and the marriage is called off. When reason was sought, she didnt know what the reason was. Just plain and simple, she doesn’t want to get married.
Well that was the first part. Now comes in the real part. News spread like fire, everyone started consoling and the blame game began. There wasn’t a soul who asked how i was feeling. It takes a long time to get out of a long term heart felt relation. This is problem with us men.
We are perceived to be strong willed and strong, but never considered to be emotional. It is a very rare event that men come out and speak. Men are quite, we are biologically built to withstand abuse. But the thing is we are taken for granted. That is exactly where problem is. We don’ t need laws or a special treatment, all we need is smile and ears to be heard. If this is encouraged we can go through anything.
Yes, there bunch of men who are nothing less to savage, i know them personally. Trust me they are now being left out in a big way. The level of respect is off the charts towards women these days. A lewd comment or a lewd action doesn’t go unpunished by the mob. Probably these will never come in to light. Strange but true.
How would anyone feel if they are constantly judged? Its worst then getting stared at. Every where I go may it be office may it be my own damn house i am always judge. My maid judges me. Seriously. She never comes to do her chores when i am alone in house. Girls literally walk off mid food when i walk in to macdonalds. This is not my story, this is a very rampant phenomenon these days.
This has caused a very serious retribution even for females. Good companies are now shying away to hire females. Specially the attractive ones. The HR doesn’t want more settlements or lawsuits. It is either an all male co. or all female co.
Now lets talk about sex. The one survey which no one will dare to do is usage of sex in return of hike, project, business and promotion. Boss and secretary fantasy do have origins. There is an alarmingly high rate of females using sex as tool to get what they want. They do this outside marriage. Things go out of control when the boss is a lady. She literally uses her body to get things done. Just no words to express what goes through mens mind when they find out that they are used.
All I want to tell is we are taught to respect and love females. We are very happy to do that, all we need is a neutral ear. Nothing more nothing less.
Oh yeah, since you have an excellent platform to go masse, have a look at last episode of satyamev jayate’s last season. Even my female friends found it bit too inclined towards females. Do share your thought on it.
If you want you can use this anywhere,please make sure I am not mentioned anywhere. Let it be an idea and not an individual.
Once again thank you for an awesome episode,
A strong-robust-emotional man.
Today I spoke to a 72 year old retired army man who has been fighting for JUSTICE for last 13 years. His Son who was falsely accused of a dowry case died of a heart attack. A young man who could not see his parents suffering so much because of his failed marriage. This family spent 29 days in Jail. Immediately after coming out, Mr. Jain started his battle against false cases on him and his family and continues to fight til date, even though he and his family were honorably cleared of all the charges on them. He has made sure that everyone – the girl, her parents, the cops who conspired with the girl, judicial officers who lapsed in their responsibilities are brought to trial. In my conversation with him, he stressed on the fact that it’s a personal battle and no lawyer would fight your case as seriously as you can. I would be posting a detailed conversation with him later, but here’s a document that he has prepared which is extremely useful when one is fighting 498A or generally also for every man’s family in India who can be made accused in these cases with allegations FLYING IN THE AIR without ANY evidence on ground or ANY truth in them. They say marriage is a sacred bond. But in today’s time, marriage is anything but SACRED. All those who have a stable marriage (sounds such a cliche with all the compromises people make to keep it stable) must thank their stars or adjusting capabilities but the fact is – Marriage today has become highly materialistic and a bond of Convenience and Comfort. The day it comes across a rocky patch, it can Kaboom. And when that happens, BOY and his family can have it REALLY REALLY HARSH. So here’s a compilation of DO’S by this FIGHTER who despite his age is FIGHTING BACK like a young man and making sure that JUSTICE happens. What he has LOST can never come back, but he is surely an inspiration for me and I am sure would be for many!!! HATS OFF SIR.
TIPS FOR SURVIVAL FROM FALSE 498A
(Compiled by Aar Ess – email@example.com)
MY CASE BRIEF :- A false case u/s 323, 342 , 307 , 406 , 506 , 498 A & 120B IPC was registered by my ex daughter in-law at PS City Jind (Haryana) against me , my late son & my wife. We both are Sr. citizens , residents of Baroda & she resided in Ahmedabad (Gujarat) . We all the three were arrested from our house at Baroda by Haryana Police , handcuffed & put into the lock up cell at Jind . Truck load of our costly goods were seized & taken to Jind on the pretext of recovery of dowry articles . Our bank accounts at Baroda were frozen by the I.O. Three times police remand was taken . We remained in police / judicial custody for 29 days before getting bail from Addl. Sessions Jdge Jind. My son had to be hospitalised at Rohtak by Jind jail authorities & he first became 100 % handicapped & later died due to a cardiac arrest during the pendency of the case . Session Court Jind framed charges against us . The case was decided in our favour by Punjab & Haryana High Court on the grounds of jurisdiction & other merits .
COMPLAINTS :- There after , the complaints against the then SP Jind , case I.O and others were made to NHRC New Delhi , Lokayukta Haryana , DGP Haryana and Finacial Commissioner & principal Secretary Home Haryana etc. . Enquiries conducted by four different DSPs , one SP & an IGP confirmed that a false case was registered against my family . SP Jind was issued warning letter , DSP Jind was charge-sheeted , five annual increments of case I.O were stopped with permanent effect. Ex daughter in-law was declared as a proclaimed offender u/s 182 IPC by Jind Court . Complaints to PM , President MHA , CM Haryana , Grievance cell , State Governer & Amnesty International etc were not very effective but complaints to NHRC New Delhi , Lokayukta Haryana were effective .
COUNTER CASES :- A complaint case u/s 203 , 219 , 220 & 120B IPC was registered in Baroda Court against the then SP Jind , the case I.O , my ex daughter in-law , her mother & father and her two maternal uncles . In a separate case , her father is facing trial at Baroda in making telephonic threatening calls & charges have been framed against him u/s 387 & 506(ii) IPC. The proceedings at Baroda have started in both the cases against the accused . Against my TEP, Income tax Dept. of Ahmedabad has also attached her father’s properties .
APPROACH & PROCESS:
A). DOCUMENTS TO BE COLLECTED AFTER MARRIAGE
1. Matrimonial Biodata given by the family of the girl /copy of News paper ad.
2. Marriage invitation cards of both the families .
3. Photographs of engagement & marriage.
4. Video of engagement & marriage .
5. Copies of all marriage related purchase / Hotel bills &expenses , paid by your family . Preferably , make payments by cheques only . Even later , all your assets be purchased through your cheque or credit card & against
6. Any letters / cards sent by the girl to boy before & after the marriage .
7. Any letters & of good time , by her parents & joint photos with her .
8. Rail / Air Tickets, photos and hotel bills of the couple for their honeymoon
9. Voter I card , PAN card , Driving License , Passport and her Bank account statement immediately after the marriage .
10. Her school & college leaving certificates , educational and professional certificates .
11.Her employment details in the form of a job resume duly signed along with the last salary slip .
12. If she is employed , know her employer and friends .
13. Copy of her Income Tax return , if applicable .
14. Copy of her Mobile Bill / customer application form(CAF).
15. Maintain a diary / directory having names & addresses of her close relatives friends & employer etc with their contact numbers.
16. Keep record of registration Nos. of vehicles owned by her family & also find details of any loans taken by her father .
17.Copies of life & health insurance and property documents in her name if any
18. Her Medical treatment record after marriage .
19. Copies of Voter cards , Ration card , Property tax & light bill of her parents & IT return copy of her father for the year when she got married
20. To prove your presence/ location , you must retain all your petrol & Tel.bills, Air , Rail , Bus & taxi travel tickets , Hotel bills & passport stamping etc .
21. To avoid future implications , joint Bank account , FDs / Lockers be
22. Don’t ever accept any cheque payment from your in-laws .
23. After desertion of your wife , change your banker & mobile service provider.
24. Get a certificate from your LPG kitchen gas Co. that your kitchen has enough safety measures in case of accidental gas leakage .
25. Get a certificate from a qualified Architect that two way locks are fitted in all doors & kitchen has an open passage with out a door .
26. Copies of her E mails , letters & phone calls records .
27. When she decides to leave you & wanted to take her belongings , it will be in your interest to get a signed receipt of the items / jewellery collected by her & countersigned by her father/mother /brother etc. . A report of her desertion should be made to your local police station immediately .
28. Maintain contact with the local SP/DIG/IGP/DGP etc. & give them in writing that you fear false 498a from your wife .
29. All correspondence/letters be sent by Regd. AD / Speed Post AD . Retain the postal receipts & AD form.
30. On getting information of her filing a 498a case , avoid arrest & get Anticipatory bail for all the family members .
31. At this stage , if you have information about her filing a 498a case , you go to hiding as the process of law can start only after service of summons and or Warrants . Don’t use your mobile & hand set , switch it off . Get anticipatory bail through some good lawyer.
32. Make use of RTI Act 2005 to obtain information from Govt. Agencies.
33. Install a call ID instrument to your landline instrument & in case you get call from your FIL / MIL or BIL , register a threatening cases.
34. Be careful while talking to your in-laws / wife on phone/mobile as your call might be recorded.
35. Avoid conflicts , remain cool , positive, have courage & state facts which can be proven . Be courteous but don’t pay to police as it will not help .
36. In false cases of 498a / DV, the girl’s mother play a very negative role for various considerations including GREED .
37. Don’t become emotional & get black mailed .Work logically & systematically . Be mentally prepared for accepting the future troubles & Expenses.
38. Try to acquire knowledge about the process of law in 498a from various NGO websites , court judgements , CrPC , IPC & D V etc .
B) DOCUMENTS AFTER REGISTRATION OF FIR BY THE WIFE :
CAUTION – Don’t show or discuss ur evidence proof with the case I.O. Make sure that you have an evidence to deny each point of your opponent’s allegation / claim .
C) MOST COMMONLY USED ALLEGATIONS BY WIVES
D) KNOW THEM
U ONLY KNOW THE TRUE FACTS OF THE CASE . TAKE PAINS TO COLLECT EVIDENCE DOCUMENTS . IT IS A PROCESS & START IT NOW . DON’T GIVE UP & LOSE HEART AS THESE EVIDENCE DOCUMENTS ONLY WILL SAVE U FROM LONG TRIAL /CONVICTION.
E) SOURCE / COLLECTION OF EVIDENCE DOCUMENTS:
EMPHASIS IS MORE ON EVIDENCE AS U NEVER KNOW WHICH OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS WILL BRING CHEERS TO YOUR FAMILY. NO BODY ELSE CAN DO IT BETTER THAN YOURSELF.
“IT IS NEVER TOO LATE , START NOW”
Reproducing another mail sent to me by a false dowry case victim after my article on abuse of 498A on Ibn Live. This man has been fighting for 8 years. A man who spent his entire young life taking care of his responsibilities did a blunder of marrying a woman who he thought would understand her responsibilities as a daughter in law. He in fact made things clear way before getting married – but what these men fail to understand is that women ( I am a woman too) are pretty good at hiding their wicked thoughts and most of them think that once marriage is done – they could play with the mind and heart and body of the man to make them do whatever they want. I have met many who made exactly the same mistake as this man….only to realize about it after paying a huge price of a false case. Ironically these are men who are good human beings.
Here’s a candid and painful sharing by a victim of false dowry case:
A True Account:
Due to my upbringing, I’d spent my entire life with the belief that women really are more respectable and better than men in every sense but the past year and a half of my life has somehow made me rethink.
A 68 year old handicapped father is all I have in the name of family and he’s theonly reason that keeps me alive despite of all the harassment I’ve been made to face courtesy the CAW Cell, Domestic Violence Act, Mahila Aayog. I have sufficient proofs that my so called wife’s cases are not only fraudulent but she married me with the sole intention of extorting my father’s property but no one wants to listen.
I’ve felt like ending my life on numerous occasions but I guess it won’t help me or the other men who are being extorted with the help of tools provided by my country’s judicial system. I have no other option but to show up at these avenues of extortion whenever required. So my question to you is – can anyone help people like me and my father? Is there a way to take down such women who want nothing more but money out of a marriage?
My father is a retired social psychologist (a national awardee) who has worked for the rehabilitation of the handicapped and various charitable organizations his entire life. That man along with me has been accused of dowry and violence. I think our souls died the very moment such accusations were made, what’s left is at the discretion of a corrupt & manipulated one sided system.
Section 498A of IPC has been anointed as the most abused law in the Indian Judiciary…. Perhaps more than TADA/POTA. Supreme Court has recorded it as ‘Legal Terrorism.’ Lacs of men and their families have been ruined because of this law, as it assumes a person guilty on mere allegations by a married woman. The law has become a tool to settle scores in case of a marriage gone wrong. Old grannies, ailing fathers, children, pregnant sisters, young boys have been arrested without any iota of evidence in many cases. More than 22 Lac people have been put behind bars in last 15 years only that includes 5 lac women. There is no other law ever in which so many women have been Jailed. Despite several observations by our HCs, SC, the law remains the same on the statute and terrorism continues. Several people have killed themselves at the altar of this law.
Martyrs of Marriage is a documentary film documenting lives of people who have suffered at the hands of this draconian law.
Stories shared on this blog are by victims of abuse of this law. Writer does not take any onus of authenticity of these stories. Names have been kept confidential to avoid revealing any identities. If you are a media house who wish to connect with these people, kindly write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Image Courtesy: SuperStock